Dean of Students Office.
The Dean of Students office plays a central role in defining the strong sense of community that bring together students, faculty, and staff across differences of racial and ethnic background, gender, class, and educational background. The dean of students’ office plans and directs university activities related to student support services and campus life including social programs for students. The office of a dean of students is generally responsible for serving as a point of information for students and responding to students’ needs. The dean of students also leases with the university administration, the student Union and other stakeholders in policy and decision making. The office generally deals with non-academic issues that may impact on the student’s academic life, the office initiatives include identification of students at risk and designing programs that encourage academic success. Basically the office is responsible for developing and overseeing programs that enable students to realize their fullest intellectual and personal potential. The dean also manages the office budget and develops office policies regarding student life program development.
The Dean of students department comprises of four sections:
- The Office of the Dean of Students
- The Counseling section
- The Chaplaincy Section
- The Sports and Games Section
Our objectives are:
- Offer counseling services to students to develop their social, psychological and spiritual capacities.
- Train students so as to enhance, develop and practice leadership skills.
- Offer recreational activities and participate in sports competitions to enable students develop their physical and social capabilities and encourage a sense of belonging.
- Identify and recommend needy students for bursaries and scholarships.
- Approve and audit student clubs and associations requests for registration.
- Organize workshops/trainings on various issues to enable student achieve their full potential.
- Conduct orientation session for first year students.
- Consult and work with other departments and faculties to address barriers which affect achievement of academic potential of students.
Mandate of the Dean of Students Department
- To develop, nurture and promote an enabling environment that supports and enhances both the academic pursuits and other development processes of students.
- To offer services that cater to the general well being of students
- To develop and implement programmes and activities that assist students to develop their physical, psychological, social, spiritual and leadership capabilities.
- To liase with other university departments and academic faculties to ensure that each and every student achieves his/her full potential and prepare them for the challenges of adulthood.
- To serve as an advocate for students by assuring that the interests of students are served in strategic aspects of university operations.
- Offer advises in cases of deferment
- Others as seen necessary for the welfare of students.
NCC – 5th floor next to the Finance Department
Services offered by this office include:
- Coordination of student activities i.e. clubs, students union.
- Work study and vocational placement of needy students.
- Coordination of intervarsity programmes
- Orientation of freshmen.
- Death and bereavement services
- Disability mainstreaming services
- Counseling services – group and individual
- The Peer Counseling Programme
- Culture Week
- Workshops, seminars and Leadership training.
Alcohol and Substance Abuse rehabilitative services